Thursday 6 June 2019

Never Would An Umbrella Be More Poignant

https://news.avclub.com/a-very-british-mike-myers-talks-bohemian-rhapsody-and-g-1830147435

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away a group called the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fought the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). Despite my long absence they're still doing it.

Within the SDF there is a small battalion of foreign volunteers. The International Brigade. All the times I sing the praises of the SDF's International Brigade it raises the question of why I'm not there with them.

I've long delayed fully answering that question because it would simply take too long. Not least because it would involve me going through the very long list of things that are medically wrong with me.

My main medical issue at the moment is a form of arthritis commonly known as; "Gout."

I think one of the most famous Gout sufferers was British King Henry VIII. Particularly in Britain this has led to the condition being associated with obesity, an overly rich diet and over consumption of alcohol.

Medical science has improved slightly since the 16th Century. It's now known that Gout is an auto-immune disease caused by a genetic predisposition.

The short explanation is that one part of the human body decides to pour highly corrosive acid onto another part of the body. As with when a corrosive acid comes into contact with the skin this cause redness, inflammation and considerable pain.

When I say; "considerable pain" bear in mind one of my most famous distinguishing features. Full thickness scar tissue on the palms of my hands. The result of third degree thermic burns. This is comparable.

The particular body part my immune system is currently conspiring against is my left hallux phallange. Big toe basically.

If you're in the market for a long saga I would recommend the HBO/Sky mini-series "Chernobyl" instead.

That features explaining how a reactor at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant came to explode.

The radioactive substances Uranium becomes inflamed. This is cooled with water. In turn that creates a chemical reaction which causes the Uranium to become more inflamed. This is further controlled with Graphite. Which creates a chemical reaction that creates Xenon. Which chokes the Uranium. You constantly have to keep the chemical cycle in balance.

The chemical cycle of Gout is pretty similar. I'm constantly on the verge of wanting to stab my own foot with a Graphite tipped Boron rod.

Being the result of a chemical reaction Gout is painful at all times. However it becomes particularly painful when pressure is applied to the affected area. Such as sitting, standing or walking.

So I apologise for the delay in covering the 2019 Eurovision Song Contest. Then getting back to covering the conflict in Syria.

The bitter irony is that sitting still at a computer typing actually increases the chemical reaction making the pain much worse. Pain which isn't some much distracting as constantly putting you on the verge of wanting to vomit.

Today I went to see my General Practitioner (GP) Doctor.

I was very sorely tempted to bring an umbrella to act as a sort of walking stick. Particularly as it would have had even less effect on my pain than the collection of walking sticks I already have in my possession.

The main reason for my visit to the GP was to obtain a repeat prescription for a certain psychoactive drug. Under Britain's National Health Service (NHS) rules this particular drug cannot be obtained through an automatic repeat. Frustratingly I actually wrote that rule.

The fact that I require that drug is one reason why I am medically unfit for work. Gout is another reason why I am medically unfit for work. And therefore legally entitled to financial support from the government. Currently dispersed through the Employment Support Allowance (ESA).

However the most recent round of letters I received from the government begging me to sign up for ESA arrived on March 29th 2019 (29/3/19). The highly politically sensitive Brexit day.

I received a similar begging letter (unopened) on May 11th (11/5/19). The day before the Opening Gala of the always highly politically sensitive 2019 Eurovision Song Contest.

I received a further begging letter (unopened) on May 17th (17/5/19). The day before the Grand-Finale of the always highly politically sensitive 2019 Eurovision Song Contest.

So I think it is obvious to all that I could amputate my own foot with a chainsaw. During the ESA assessment interview.

The British government would still determine that I am nothing more than their property or chattel. A recruitment policy which has been unlawfully in the UK since 1807. As reaffirmed by the 2015 Modern Slavery Act.

You may have noticed that the issue of US access to the NHS post-Brexit came up during US President Trump's recent visit to the UK.

No small part of this is due to some smart alex deciding to send me a SMS. Urging me to book a GP appointment using the NHS Smartphone App.

Simple pattern of life surveillance would have made it obvious to even the least competent that the earliest I consider making and appointment is today.

I think it is a good job that I did not respond to Britain's request.

My particular case study shows that under the NHS Britain's drug market is needlessly expensive and dangerously over-regulated.

You can't really treat Gout. However the best way to manage it is with high dose, 1600mg per day, Non-Steriod Anti Inflammatory Drugs (NSAID's). The most common being Ibuprofen.

Ibuprofen is a non-regulated drug. So you can obtain 3200mg's of it on NHS prescription at a cost to you of roughly £9. This is your contribution to the total cost to the NHS which is around £32.

Or you can buy from any high street shop for around £00.40.

If Ibuprofen doesn't work, which in this case it isn't, you have to move on to a Cortical Steriod. Commonly Cortisone.

In the UK Cortisone is a regulated drug. Meaning you can only obtain it via an NHS prescription. At a cost to you of around £9.

However the NHS is forbidden from prescribing Cortisone until you have used Ibuprofen for two weeks. In order to show that is has not worked.

Particularly over a sustained period of time high does Ibuprofen causes a number of significant adverse effects to the human body. On the Kidneys and the Cardiovascular system.

I am already suffering from those adverse effects to the Cardiovascular system. High blood pressure, erratic heartbeat and shortness of breath. The NHS though demands that I keep taking the drug which is causing those adverse effects for at least another two weeks.

In short the NHS is demanding that I make myself so ill I have to be admitted to hospital as an emergency case. Rather than simply letting me buy Cortisone over the counter and solving the underlying problem.

I had a similar problem back in 2013 when I broke my finger. In a fist fight with one of London's Labour Mayor Sadiq Khan's thugs.

This was only a tiny break in a small bone. So all it required was a splinting material. Foam aluminium basically. However under the NHS that is regulated medical device.

So instead I had to go to hospital, have an X-Ray and be referred to a fracture clinic. Where a Senior Consultant had to tell me what I already knew. That I needed to put splinting material on it and wait for it to heal itself.

I appreciate there is a much wider issue. However on basis of those case studies it sounds like the NHS is in serious and urgent need of US-style deregulation.

That the level of incompetence you need to display in order for the British taxpayer to give you upwards of a six figure salary.

16:30 on 6/6/19 (UK date).

No comments: